Thursday, June 18, 2009

What's in a name?


Recent articles in the Media have made very concerned.

"A study by the Australian National University has found people with Chinese names are much more likely to be knocked back for a job interview than applicants with an Anglo-Saxon name."

The Australian - June 17, 2009, and

"Northern Ireland's police chief warned Thursday that recent attacks on Romanian immigrants that forced 20 families to flee their homes are damaging the region's economy and reputation." - Associated Press - 18 June, 2009

The first article makes no mention about my chances of getting a job with my Romanian name, but I don't think they are that good.

The second article makes me extremely worried - I am not sure if my home insurance covers for ethnic attacks. The fact that I am of Romanian origin does not seem to help in getting a job that much either.

Add to that my age and I am almost certain to live from handouts from now.